A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
|Published||March 10, 2015|
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara is an adult contemporary novel, originally published on March 10, 2015.
To view more details about a given item, click the "Expand" button beside it. Please note that these details may include spoilers.
- Ableism (violent) Dismissal of chronic pain, physical abuse after showcasing disability, character is raped because of his disability. This happens in The Axiom of Equality, Chapter One.
- Child abandonment A baby is left in a dumpster
- Child abuse
- Child death Detailed, The Axiom of Equality Chapter Two.
- Child molestation
- Child rape From 9 to 12 years old. Hundreds of men, including his parental figure. The Axiom of Equality, Chapter Three.
- Drug abuse
- Domestic violence/abuse Has the potential to lead to a possible murder. The Axiom of Equality, Chapter One and Two.
- Eating disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Lesbophobia (unchallenged)
- Physical abuse Character is constantly hit by people raising him as a child. He is later hit by a partner as an adult.
- Prostitution Of a child (from nine to twelve years old). The Axiom of Equality, Chapter Three.
- Racism Deep discussions of Black identity are discussed within the book, including internalized racism and being mixed. Some Black readers have expressed this oversteps boundaries, as the author is not Black.
- Rape The Axiom of Equality, Chapter One and Chapter Two. Child rape at Chapter Three.
- Self harm (graphic)
- Sexual abuse
- Sexual assault
- Suicide ideation
- Suicide Graphic attempt at The Axiom of Equality, Chapter Three.
- Transphobia (misgendering)Character isn't actually trans, but characters doing the misgendering believe they are, trans identity is used as a punchline. Vanities, Chapter One.
An asterisk (*) indicates that the author openly identifies with that identity.
- M/M romance (main characters)
- Non-specified POC (main character)
- Black side characters
- Indian side character
- Disabled main character
- PTSD (main character)