Earthlings by Sayaka Murata
From Book Trigger Warnings
|August 31, 2018
Earthlings by Sayaka Murata is an adult horror novel, originally published on August 31, 2018.
- Abusive family 
- Cannibalism 
- Child sexual abuse 
- Incest 
- Manipulation 
- Mental abuse
- Pedophilia 
- Rape 
- Child sexual abuse
- Underage sex between two children
An asterisk (*) indicates that the author openly identifies with that identity.
- Japanese main and side characters
No tropes have been added yet. To add some, click on the edit button!
- Abusive Family: Both Natsuki's mother, older sister and father are incredibly verbally abusive to her. This abuse is seen throughout the story, and throughout the turned eyes that they give Natsuki. Natsuki tells her mother about the abuse she faces from her teacher, which results in her mother spiraling and hitting Natsuki multiple times. Near the end of the book, it is revealed that Kise, Natsuki's sister, knew and saw the abuse she withstood from her teacher, and did nothing. Yuu, Natsuki's cousin, also is abused at home, and it can be implied that Yuu is also being sexually abused by his mother, it is stated multiple times throughout the beginning that he is "treated like a husband" Tomoyama, Natsuki's husband also could be potentially abused by his mother as well, and it states that he had to take baths with his mom until he was 15.
- Cannibalism: Throughout the last chunk of the book, Yuu, Natsuki, and Tomoyama eat an elderly couple. The book goes into detail about how they prep and kill the body.
- Child Sexual Abuse: Natsuki is abused twice throughout the book by her cram school teacher, Mr. Igasaki. He forces her to perform oral sex on him, this scene is incredibly graphic. Natsuki is 12. Igasaki also looks through the trash bins and keeps Natsuki's menstrual products. He forces her to change her pad in front of him. Igasaki also gropes, stalks, and beats Natsuki multiple times throughout the beginning of the book.
- Incest: Yuu and Natsuki engage in a sexual relationship, and throughout the beginning of the book, Natsuki talks about how they are boyfriend and girlfriend. They get "married" that summer. They are both 12, and are cousins. There is also multiple times throughout the end of the book where Tomoyama talks about engaging in a taboo act to un-brainwash himself from the life that he is living. He talks about engaging in a sexual relationship with both his brother, and his dying grandfather.
- Manipulation: Natsuki's mother tells her that Mr. Igasaki's abuse is all in her head and that she is making things up for attention
- Murder: Natsuki murders Mr. Igasaki.
- Pedophilia: Mr. Igasaki is a pedophile. He is loved by the rest of the community, so nobody believes Natsuki when she says what happened to her.
- Rape: Mr. Igasaki graphically forces Natsuki to perform oral sex on him. Natsuki loses all sense of taste for the next 23 years. The sexual relationship with Yuu and Natsuki would also be considered rape, since they are both children.